Senate Bill 5194 addresses social injustices and poverty through our community colleges. It calls for eliminating obstacles for first-generation, underrepresented minority, and disabled students and demands that colleges be accountable for campus equity and inclusion via financial support; guided pathways; mentorships; advising; counseling; integrated basic education skills and training; and an increase of diversity of students, faculty, and staff. In addition, the bill calls for the resumption of funding, after a 12-year lapse, of more full-time faculty positions and pay equity among faculty.
Here’s how to show your support:
- Go to this website: https://app.leg.wa.gov/CSIRemote/Senate
- Committee: Select “Ways & Means”
- Meetings: Select “2/19/2021 9:00 AM”
- Scroll down: Click on SSB 5194 Comm. & technical colleges
- Scroll down: Click on “I would like to state my position for the state legislature.”
- Then make sure to select PRO
- Prove you are not a ROBOT and then you will select the “Done” button.